University Heights, Buffalo, NY

Friday, March 13, 2009

Three-Step Procedure for Obtaining Police Response to Emergency & Neighborhood Nuisance Behavior

Build your neighborhood! Remember that the best way to build a quiet, civil neighborhood is to know your neighbors before any incidents occur. Everyone will proactively be more responsible for the neighborhood this way, and have direct influence on quality of life. If you have already spoken with your neighbor and they do not respond positively, then the following steps may be taken:

1. Call 911. State the complaint clearly and with descriptions.

The purpose of this step is to ensure your complaint is formally registered. The 911 system is run by Erie County, not the City of Buffalo, and the City prioritizes all calls. Student partying/loud neighbors/drunken neighbors usually are a lower priority than emergencies. This step may result in the police coming to your aid quickly, but emergencies elsewhere in the district may be happening.

2. Call the District E Station (851-4416), and ask to speak to the Lieutenant on duty and ask them to request help from University Police officers.

The purpose of this step is to contact the Buffalo Police directly. A Lieutenant may not be available since they are on patrol. If not available, ask that a Lieutenant be contacted regarding the disturbance.

Note that only the Buffalo Police Lieutenant has the authority to request help from University at Buffalo Police officers. This authority is outlined in the Memorandum of Understanding between UBP and BPD.

!! It is critical you call 911 first, since even District E personnel need to call 911 if you do not! Calls are logged into CitiStat and will eventually be addressed. !!

If there is no response to an emergency situation quickly, then call 911 and District E again. Nuisance behaviors may take longer.

3. Involve Office of Student Affairs & Office of Community Relations at UB.

If the problem is being caused by UB students, then record the address, time, how many students, if people are coming and going from the address, in what direction are they leaving, etc. License plate numbers are helpful. This information may be reported to Mary Clare Fahey at UB’s Off-Campus Services - or 829-2493. Finally, follow-up the incident at the next Problem Properties Task Force meeting (contact UB Office of Community Relations at 823-3099 or 829-3524 for date of next meeting). The PPTF can engage City Inspections. Inform other neighbors of the incident and get them organized in a neighborhood watch or block club. The UHC can assist with this.
For Crime and Drug Activity
Call the Confidential Tip Line at 847-2255. Tips go to the top of District E for review. Do not expect a follow-up call regarding progress. Crimes and tips may also be reported over email at: .
For Problems on NFTA Property
Call 911, and then the NFTA Dispatch at 855-6405.
*Nuisance behavior includes loud student parties, speeding, fighting, underage drinking, drug activity, public intoxication, drunk driving, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment